Rabo de Nube, a 2007 live recording by Charles Lloyd’s quartet, tops the list of 2008 critics’ picks in Jazz Times. For the CD, documenting the veteran saxophonist’s 7oth-birthday concert in Basel, Switzerland, he was joined by pianist Jason Moran, bassist Reuben Rogers and drummer Eric Harland.
The Top 10 highest vote-getters in the poll include three – by Pat Metheny, Cassandra Wilson and Anat Cohen – that made it onto my own list, published online at Jazzhouse (Jazz Journalists Association) and in print at Las Vegas City Life.
The remainder of the Jazz Times top 10:
- Bennie Maupin, Quartet, Early Reflections
- Joe Lovano, Symphonica
- Pat Metheny, Day Trip
- Dave Holland Sextet, Pass It On
- Bill Frisell, History, Mystery
- Carla Bley Big Band, Appearing Nightly
- Cassandra Wilson, Loverly
- Various Artists, Miles From India
- Anat Cohen, Notes From the Village
For the complete list of the top 50, click here
The year-end round-up: “The year started off with a big surprise in the music industry: Herbie Hancock’s River: The Joni Letters (Verve) broke out of the jazz category and won Album of the Year at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards.” The rest